“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Friday, September 16, 2011

Oh, the Bounty

I stopped by The National Heirloom Exposition the other day to check things out. It was a quick visit, right down the street from my house, so how could I NOT go? The event was a swift kick in the pants that Summer is over and Autumn is here. The bounty of the season was literally piled in huge mountains, it was quite impressive!

"In the garden, Autumn is, indeed the crowning glory of the year, bringing us the fruition of months of thought and care and toil. And at no season, safe perhaps in Daffodil time, do we get such superb colour effects as from August to November."
 ~Rose G. Kingsley, The Autumn Garden, 1905

"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting 
and autumn a mosaic of them all."
 ~Stanley Horowitz

By all these lovely tokens September days are here, With summer’s best of weather And autumn’s best of cheer.
 ~Helen Hunt Jackson

“O Autumn, laden with fruit, and stained


With the blood of the grape, pass not, but sit


Beneath my shady roof; there thou may’st rest,


And tune thy jolly voice to my fresh pipe;


And all the daughters of the year shall dance!


Sing now the lusty song of fruit and flowers.


~ William Blake


I wrote about the upcoming season 2 years ago, in this blog post. It pretty much sums up how I feel this time of year. O, Autumn, bring on the bounty!

No comments:

Post a Comment