“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Broad Stripes and Bright Stars


The other day I googled "to be an American". I wanted to see what others thought it meant. I wasn't looking to get into any of the "hot- button topics" that are currently bubbling at the surface.

I wanted to see if I could find some genuine, sincere thoughts, in very simple terms. Here are a few samples of what I found out there:

-Being free to pursue whatever your dreams and aspirations really are.
- You have the right to express your religion.
- Equality is one of the greatest things I've seen.
- I can walk where I want to go and do what I want to do.
- Freedom, diversity, respect, tolerance.
- It's about seizing the opportunity.
- You can make something of yourself if you really try.

The last one is my favorite, "if you really try". I no longer just sit and wait for things to happen, I'm making them happen, I'm really trying. I'm thankful that America has given me the freedom to pursue my dreams and to seize the opportunities as I choose. I'm very impatient, I'm not going to sit around and wait for it to happen, good golly!

In honor of Independance Day I used some patriotic inspiration to create a few festive items for the holiday celebration. Hurrah for the flag of the free!

Red, White and Blue Table Runner available in the shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment