“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Enchanted Swiss Chard Forest

I planted my first patch of swiss chard this summer. An assorted mix of red, yellow and green. I also plopped in a few basil plants. I don't usually grow a lot of edibles as they take a lot of tending to and the bugs and slugs usually do a number on them before I can harvest. But this year I saw the lovely little six packs of multicolored chard at the farmers market and I thought I'd give it a go. Well, the chard is doing quite well. I usually harvest once a week or so and it grows fast enough to harvest in another week or so. We like it sauteed with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, as a side to grilled meats, tossed into pasta or stirred into a simmering white bean soup. I think I'll plant another barrel of greens soon. This time maybe kale with some radicchio plopped in or a barrel of mixed lettuces! The possibilities are endless......

Thoughtful Words: "Gardening is the purest of human pleasures" - Francis Bacon

Music to garden by: Tierra Verde - Strunz & Farah/Primal Magic



No comments:

Post a Comment