“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Friday, December 6, 2013

Blue Arabesque


 I'm starting to cut into many of my coveted fabrics lately and I must say, it's waaay more fun using them rather than just letting them sit on a self. Amy Butler uses lots of dark blues and brilliant greens in her designs and I wanted to mix them up and create a deeply colored, dreamy quilt. As I get more quilts under my belt I like to go as big as I can when I'm feeling it. I barely had enough of some of these fabrics and had to raid my scraps for any small bits to make sure everything was Amy Butler and just the right blues and greens.


 I veered only with the Kona Ash for the border and backing and then of course, I used Parson Gray Curious Nature for the binding, quite fitting I think. I am pretty particular about my batting and only use cotton Warm and White. I quilted this on my home machine (Baby Lock, Jane), as I do all of my quilts, in my standard meandering design. I've gotten pretty good at it and so I stick with what I know.


I made various sized blocks and arranged them randomly to give the quilt a casual, carefree impression. 


 Once finished the quilt reminded me of Blue Arabesque tiles I hope to someday have in my Mediterranean kitchen with double ovens, a butcher block island and a farm house sink...someday!


 Measures 62" x 72", large enough to use as a coverlet for a king sized bed or a cozy couch quilt for two! Oh, how I would love to keep this quilt but we have too many quilts at this point so in the shop it goes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment