“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Amaryllis, Baby Girl Quilt


Finished another quilt! This quilt was inspired by another one of my quilts, the Whirleygig Quilt. I just loved the fabrics in that quilt and wanted to use them to create something saturated with those warm colors. I chose to use a half square triangle technique to create a zig-zag chevron design, contrasting the greys with the warm reds, pinks and golds. It was a lot of piecing and lining up points but I think it turned out very pretty, indeed.


Most of the fabrics are from various lines by Denyse Schmidt but there is also Amy Butler, Anna Maria Horner, Sandi Henderson and Lotta Jansdotter. The most special part of this quilt is the backing! My 90 year old mother-in-law graciously gave me some of her fabric from when she was a seamstress back in the day. I was delighted to find about 5 yards of this soft pale pink and white cotton fabric in the stash she gave me. My husband said it was probably at least 40 years old so I decided to give it a good hot wash and a tumble dry to see how it held up. It was gorgeous, soft and oh so pretty! 



I had originally planned to back it with the usual pink flannel, as soon as I got around to ordering it but then I was presented with a lovely vintage gift and it is perfect! I will be backing many more quilts with this fine fabric, thanks to Noni!


Amaryllis, Baby Girl Quilt. Measures 45" x 35. Perfect for a toddler bed or crib.

2 comments: