“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sweet Baby Jane - A Sewing Machine Review


Today I am participating in the Sewing Machine Review Link-up hosted by Sew Mama Sew. I have been wanting to blog about my sewing machine since I purchased it a while back but never got around to it. This is the perfect chance to gush about my machine!


What Brand and Model do you have?
My machine is a Baby Lock Jane (A-Line Series, Model #BL500A)

How long have you had it?
I purchased my machine in 2012.

How much does that machine cost (Approx.)?
I paid a little over $1000 for my machine.


What types of things do you sew?
I am primarily a quilter, however, I also sew bags and purses, aprons and home accents (pillows, curtains, etc...).

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does your machine get?
I sew a LOT! Sometimes every day all day long, sometimes a few times a week.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Does she have a name?
I absolutely LOVE my machine! Her name is Sweet Baby Jane, of course!


What features does your machine have that work well for you?
I did a LOT of research before buying my machine. My last machine was a Baby Lock Grace that I used constantly for three years but it just could not keep up with the amount of sewing I did. I wanted a very simple, very powerful machine. I did not need decorative stitches but I DID need a wide throat space as I do a lot of quilting. Baby Jane has a 9" arm which makes quilting large quilts a breeze. Another feature that is just as important was the Feed Dog Adjustment knob. There are 4 heights to choose from with just the turn of the knob, so, so easy! This is a straight stitch machine and at 1500 stitches per minute, this baby is FAST! There are many other impressive features (hands-free presser foot, telescoping thread stand, quilting extension table, needle threader, thread cutter button, etc...).

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
Surprisingly, no.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
Yes! I really do love my machine. It's simple, strong, fast and easy to clean and oil.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Consider what style of sewing is to be done on the machine. I mostly quilt so I needed a fast machine with a wide throat and the ease of lowering the feed dogs. Someone who does a lot of decorative stitching and minimal quilting probably would not appreciate this machine.

Do you have a dream machine? 
Someday I might like to have an industrial Juki.

Do you have a great story about your machine?
While in a rush trying to finish a quilt for a client I sewed right through my finger with the needle breaking off IN MY FINGER. I never found the end of the needle so I am assuming it's still in there!


 I Love my Sweet Baby Jane!


1 comment:

  1. Yes,cheeky girl.What drives me nuts about the machine is the thread spindle.IT IS TOO SHORT to hold even a small spool of thread .I cannot put the SPOOL CAP ontop of the spindle because of the hieght of the spindle.I emailed the company.They addressed NONE of my guestions and neither has the store I bought it!They even gave me the wrong bobbins! I should have bought a new Juki but it is very difficult to find a repair person.The one I used ruined mine.

    ReplyDelete