“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Scrap-tastic!



What's a girl to do with an ever growing pile of Denyse Schmidt scraps? 
Start a scrappy quilt, that's what!


I love Denyse's Any Way You Slice It quilt and have seen many versions all over the web. I referenced several variations including this one, this one, and this one. Each one of these quilters used the design of the original quilt as an inspiration for their own technique. 


 For me, I decided to use a paper piecing method just to make sure I ended up with crisp lines and a good square block. I simply used plain copy paper and squared it up to 8.5" x 8.5" and used it as my template. Along with my pile of scraps I also cut fresh strips from existing yardage so I would have a good assortment.


I decided to limit my selections to mainly blues, greens and reds so the finished quilt wouldn't be too crazy looking. This quilt will most likely be a keeper but I have so many scraps I could easily make several more lap or baby sized quilts for the shop


These blocks go together very fast. I can't wait to put them all together in some random design. This is the kind of quilting I can relate to and I enjoy immensely, almost no measuring, matching points or lining up angles. No exact placement of blocks either, just do what your heart desires. I hope to have a finished quilt by the end of the week, fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment