“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Hollyhock Girls




I swear, I love making quilts! The only part I could do without is the basting. I just don't like crawling around on the floor, squatting, grunting and sweating...not very glamorous! But in the end I have a lovely quilt, so I guess it's worth it. These Holyhock Quilts were so fun to make. Picking out the fabrics was like playing with sugar candy. I have several piles of even more sugary fabrics that will be turned into future quilts...can't wait! One of the reasons I am cranking out quilts is that I think I have finally mastered the "stitch in the ditch" technique for attaching the binding. Man, it is fast, fast, fast! It took a lot of practice and I have a lot of pot holders as the result. I really think it looks better and it must be more durable than the hand stitching I was doing before. To each his own. I like this technique and I'm sticking to it.

The Hollyhock Quilts! Dainty and sweet, these crib and stroller sized quilts are a modern take on the classic quilt! Created with numerous designer fabrics, Anna Maria Horner, Heather Bailey, Amy Butler, Jennifer Paganelli, Sandi Hendersen. The patchwork design allows the clean and fresh floral patterns of the fabrics to shine through. Backed with pale yellow Kona Cotton and a touch of patchwork. Binding is bright Fuchsia Flower Power. Batting is 100% Cotton Warm and White. Machine quilted in a "loop-de-loop"design.

Crib sized quilt measures 36" x 29".
Stroller sized quilt measures 28" x 22"

Both are in the Shop!

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful! What a wonderful job and great fabric selection. I need to work more on the stitch in the ditch. My bindings are as great.
    :)
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete