“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.”

~ Georgia O'Keeffe

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Mama Roux's BLT


My, oh my! What a fabulous sandwich this is! Quick, easy and fairly healthy. I created this last night when I really did not feel like cooking a meal but wanted something comforting. This sandwich calls for Turkey Bacon, which is all we eat. It's just as flavorful and much better for you than regular bacon. Unless compared side by side you cannot tell the difference. The real defining element to this fabulous sandwich is the bread. I wanted something hearty and chewy. I chose LaBrea Rosemary & Olive Oil Sourdough, usually available in most grocery stores. The rosemary gives a deep, earthy flavor while the olive oil offers a mellow sweetness. Any high end, herb flavored sourdough will work. I also jazzed it up a bit by using a salad mix with radicchio, purchased in a bag from Trader Joe's. I'm telling you, each of these ingredients on their own are delicious, but put them all together and something magical happens. Once you take a bite you just might shed a tear, I know my husband did! Enjoy!

Mama Roux's BLT

1 package turkey bacon
1 round of sourdough bread with rosemary & olive oil
1 ripe avocado
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
salad mix with radicchio and baby lettuces
mayonnaise
salt
freshly ground pepper

Cook bacon until crispy. Slice bread into 3/4" slices. Place on a sheet pan and toast under broiler until just crispy on each side. Mash avocado and season with salt and pepper. Assemble sandwiches by spreading a good amount of mayonnaise on each slice of toast. Spread one side of sandwich with 1-2 Tbsp mashed avocado, then add 5 slices of bacon, 2-3 slices of tomato and a good handful of salad mix. Cover with second slice of toast and press to keep sandwich together. Slice in half and place on a plate. Eat this wonderful thing on the couch while snuggling under a quilt with someone you love. A crackling fire is recommended but optional. Makes 3 yummy sandwiches.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE blt's!!!! I haven't had one in a reeeeeally long time. I must make them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh, looks yummy!!! will try it out, too!

    coming from Passionate Blogs, have a great day! I think I'm "bloggyblocked", can't put my thoughts into words so I'm going to show some bloglove and go comment-crazy instead!

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete